Dr Shyam is a board-certified neurosurgeon with expertise in complex brain and spine surgery. He is a consultant at Apollo Speciality Hospitals. With nearly 10 years’ experience in surgery he performs open and endoscopic / minimally invasive brain and spine surgeries. His special interests include Complex Cerebrovascular Surgeries for Brain Aneurysms and Arterio-venous Malformations, Skull base surgeries for Pituitary adenomas, Meningiomas, Vestibular Schwannomas, Neuro-oncological surgeries for Gliomas, Intraventricular tumors. He also performs surgeries on children with congenital malformations, Functional Neurosurgery for Trigeminal Neuralgia, Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease and Epilepsy surgery.
He is a recipient of various Gold Medals during his undergraduation. He graduated in Surgery from the Stanley Medical College, Chennai, TN with a Gold Medal. He then pursued his Neurosurgical training from the prestigious Madras Medical College. He graduated as a topper in his university exams and was awarded the University Gold Medal and Prof S Kalyanaraman Gold Medal. He then completed his fellowship training in Cerebrovascular and Skull Base Surgery at the Fujita Health University, Japan.
He is a member of the Neurological Society of India, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Congress of Neurological Surgeons (USA), American College of Surgeons, European Association of Neurosurgical Societies, Vice Secretary of Fujita Banbuntane Alumni Association for Young Neurosurgeons, AO Spine and other professional organizations. He has performed more than 1000 surgeries in his career.
“Dr Shyam believes in treating neurosurgical diseases in a balanced and aggressive manner along with the patient and the family incorporated in the treatment plan to offer the patients best outcome and satisfaction.”
- Complex Cerebrovascular Surgery – Brain Aneurysms, Arterio-venous Malformations, Cavernomas, Dural Arterio-venous fistulas, Cerebral Revascularization / Bypass, Carotid Endarterectomy
- Neuro-oncology – Awake Craniotomy, Functional Mapping, Intra-operative Neuromonitoring and Intra-operative Ultrasound
- Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery – including Key-hole approaches to the brain and Endoscopic approaches to treat tumours, hydrocephalus, etc.
- Pediatric Congenital Malformations – Myelomeningocele, Lipomeningocele, Tethered Cord Syndrome, Chiari Malformations
- Spine – Degenerative Spinal Disorders, Spinal Infections, Congenital Spine Disorders
- Functional Neurosurgery – Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease and Epilepsy Surgery
- Trauma – Head and Spinal Trauma